Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Window Furniture

The windows off the back of our house have been naked since we moved in. This wasn't too big of a problem when we moved in - until the leaves fell off the trees - giving our somewhat-distant-yet-close-enough neighbors a potential peek in to our lives in the evenings. Not to mention, the sun absolutely bakes our furniture around 1pm every day. Sooo, six to eight weeks ago I ordered plantation shutters for our family room, guest bath, and kitchen windows. They were installed yesterday! In the family room and guest bath, we did full panels. However, in the kitchen, we have a great view of our wooded back yard that I didn't want to completly eliminate. I opted for cafe-style shutters in the eating area - which are shutters that only go half-way up the window - allowing for privacy while the much wanted light still pours through.

Kitchen shutters below.

Family Room:



This truly is window furniture. Plantation shutters really give a room a finishing touch - very contemporary and streamlined, in my opinion - even though they are considered to be a somewhat traditional fixture. Call me crazy - but for some reason - and I could be imagining this - they make the areas that surround feel bigger. Is that due to the horizontal lines? The same way that horizontal stripes can make your hips and butt look big? I don't know - but I'm liking it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, I like the 1/2 shutters. Great idea!!!

Behind Decorated Doors said...

Thanks! I am still LOVING these shutters. Can't wait till we can find the capital to install them off the windows off the front of the house!