Monday, February 2, 2009

Mantel Worthy?

If you've been following along the last few months, you'd know that I've been grappling with what to put on my mantel. This decision has been somewhat stalled lately, as I've been waiting to see what the mantel will look like once it is painted. As you can see below, this transformation is imminent - so I've been beating the streets to figure out what I should place on this coveted and high profile position in our family room.

This item will be one of the first things that people see upon entering our front door - now that our wall is open. I've been looking for something a little more personal than just any old canvas print (it must be canvas b/c our spotlight above the mantel casts a nasty glare on anything framed in glass.)

My love affair with Rodney White is ever-burning these days (don't tell my husband.) And I have discovered his letter Artaissance giclees. How about 'L' for our last name:

Our sofas are red - and there is some red in the area rug....no teal just yet - but I think this could be a great opportunity to incorporate this color. I love how the right shade of teal looks with red. The question remains - is it mantel worthy?

This pic is from an earlier version of our progress on the wall opening - but gives you an idea what you'll see when you enter our front door. The mantel is front and center - picture it in white/cream instead of the stained wood below. Honest comments? Please provide!

1 comment:

Aharon Hill said...

OOh! I love the new openness of your rooms!!!