Friday, February 13, 2009

My Evenings at Emory

So, last night I had my second class in Design Basics at Evening at Emory. The class is taught by Lee Anne Culpepper, a 26 year veteran of the home design business. I have to say she is fantastic. I also have to say that I apparently know more than I thought I did going in to this course! I'm learning all sorts of new things, but am also confirming some of what I thought were instincts, but now know is pure-bred decorating talent! So far it's been a great experience - and with two classes left - I cannot wait to learn more!

Some tidbits from the past two classes that I have learned:

"Rules of Thumb"
  • Chandeliers: hang 27"- 36" inches above tabletop
  • Shower curtains: hang at least 12" from ceiling. Curtain should also almost reach the floor.
  • Rugs - under a table: all chair legs should rest comfortably on the rug when pushed in to the table. Ideally, when pushed back, the legs would remain on the rug. However, this a rule you can break in small spaces.

We've also learned some tips for decorating small spaces - like using glass tables in a small eating space to make the area look bigger. Painting the back of a built-in-shelf can add interest and a colorful background off which accessories can pop! (Hmm...sounds like a great idea. Must be why I've already done this in our living room!) I've also learned that my decorating style is ecclectic - which is a combination of several styles. I think that my particular combination is Colonial/Contemporary/Tranditional with a splash of country. Shocked that country is in there - but I have a love of painted furniture - which is an attribute of the country style.

Next week we will be learning about wall art - how to frame, arrange, create, etc! We'll also be discussing fabric options to make a room coordinate, but not be too matchy-matchy. Can't wait to sign up for Design Basics II!!

I've been working on my shelves in the living room since our construction is now complete. I'll post pics of the finished product and the shelf arrangement that is still a work in progress later this evening. Trial and error when decorating shelves is DEFINITELY a necessity! And it's so fun!

No comments: