Friday, February 13, 2009

Tada!

After much ado...
At long last......

Pictures of the finished family room:  Sans solid wall, plus built-in cabinet, minus stained wood trim.

BEFORE:


AFTER:


BEFORE:


AFTER:

My first pass at the shelf makeover.  I need a few more books - although, I do not want it to be too busy.  Notice I painted the back of the shelf a deeper color than the walls throughout the room.  I couldn't be happier with this effect.

More to feast your eyes upon...the cabinet up close.


The wall - BEFORE (not our furniture):

AFTER:
The view from the front door, BEFORE:
AFTER:


We're very happy with the results. Both rooms are so much more open and bright.  Just painting the trim in the family room has been amazing.  For the first few days, all I could do was walk in the room and stare.  Money well spent.

As you can see, I'm still grappling with the mantel.  I'm leaning towards not putting a picture there - but perhaps arranging decorative pieces, instead.  Shelf/mantel do-over is a work in progress.  I move something else each day.  Will it ever be perfect?  Probably not...it's fun to rearrange!

2 comments:

Aharon Hill said...

Caroline... this looks SO nice... the new doorway is genius - I'm loving the openness! And what a huge difference the white paint made! It really is a new room. I wonder what it would look like if you carried the white onto the brick of the fireplace (maybe a whitewashed look?) and painted the walls behind the shelves white as well...? Might not be your taste... but I love exposed, whitewashed brick, so I thought I'd throw it out there :)

Behind Decorated Doors said...

Oooh, that is a nice idea! I had thought about painting the brick - but decided to leave it until after everything is was painted. I'm liking the brown shelf background with the brown brick...it adds some warmth, and a rustic element. I dunno...I change my mind frequently! You guys have to come over soon! The pics don't do it justice!