Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weekend Projects

I opened my email this morning to find a wonderfully helpful email from Better Homes & Gardens that included 20 Winter Weekend Fix-Ups.  SUCH helpful ideas - I cannot even explain.  I plan to deploy some of these projects in my own home.  The first one I plan to undertake is:

I have posted pics of my family room - with built-in bookshelves - before.  And I have been struggling with how to decorate them - not wanting to overclutter - but also not wanting to have a sparse feel to them.  Below are pics of their current state:

 
  
Can't wait to have a cabinet built to hide that TV equipment (in the next two weeks)!  Somehow I don't think BHG would be pleased!  There cannot be an easy way to make a cable box look chic!

Some of BHG's helpful hints for updating your bookshelves include:
- Alternate stacking books vertically and horizontally
- Use framed pictures as bookends
- Place figurines on horizontal books, and layer books behind
- Remove book jackets to tone down the various colors and patterns
- Less is more!  Arrange books here and there with pics and accessories in between.  
- When stacking books, arrange from tallest to shortest
- Vary heights by stacking books as base for accessories
- Paint your shelves a bold color so that they become the focal point as opposed to the disparate color and pattern of your books

Some great examples of these techniques are below:
                                                                

We are having work done in our family room in the next two weeks - that will end in these bookshelves and the mantle being painted a creamy white color. (as well as a large, cased opening to be created in an adjacent wall to open up the front family room to the back living room - so excited)  As soon as this work is completed, I plan to get to work arranging the shelves.  And, have no fear, the pics will be posted here first!

The other weekend fixer-ups that I'd like to undertake are:
#10 - Redo Your Mantle (in tandem with the bookshelves overhaul)
#18 - Big Impact with a Little Fabric (lampshades never looked this good!)
I will create one post for each project over the next few weeks/months.  

Some other projects that are not on my short-list - but are making me think twice are:

Now you have a great way to spend these long, cold weekends we seem to be having lately! 
:)  Get creative!


2 comments:

Aharon Hill said...

can't wait to see the creamy color on your shelves. Also, thought I'd pass on this idea.... I saw some built-ins illuminated by track lighting (so cheap, yet goes such a long way!!) about a month ago... it really brightened the room. Can't wait to see!!!

Behind Decorated Doors said...

Wow! thanks! I'll check that out! That room gets a bit dim. I'm hoping for the new opening in the wall to give more light - we'll see. Track lights - were they inside the built-ins, or on the ceiling above?